* A dog howling under your window three nights in succession portends evil or death in the near future.
* A picture falling, if the glass be broken, speaks clearly of a death in the family at no very distant date; the glass being intact, implies that misfortune of some kind is hanging overhead, but possibly everything may come right in the end.
* A strange cat coming to your house, if black, should never be driven away; if you do so, you simply drive luck from your door.
* If you are unmarried, be very careful to keep in mind the fact that, having attended three funerals, you must at least be present during part of a wedding service before standing at the graveside of a fourth, or you will die single, unless you are exceedingly rash, and get married in spite of everything.
* If you tread on an ordinary road beetle, rain will presently fall.